When we told our friends in Chennai we wanted to do some sightseeing, they all said, “Go West–to Kerala!”
“Never heard of it,” we said.
“It’s beautiful,” they replied.
While we were mulling over this possibility, we met a fellow hotel guest who happened to be from Kerala. I told Sandhya we were thinking of visiting Kerala, and she turned travel agent on the spot.
“You must go. It’s like nothing else you’ll see in India. First you should go to Munnar, spend two nights, then to Thekkady, take a boat ride and stay a night in the tiger preserve, then Marari Kollam, and then a night on a houseboat.” Continue reading
Posted in India, Kerala, South Asia, South India, spices, Travel, Uncategorized
Tagged chocolate, coffee, food, India, Kerala, organic, South Asia, South India, Travel
We have, of course, been doing a lot of things besides eating. But as a basic requirement of life and an important element of culture, not to mention an enjoyable social experience, food naturally commands a lot of our attention. So here are a few of our dining experiences thus far.
Every morning starts off with the phenomenal breakfast buffet provided by our hotel, the Radisson Blu GRT airport hotel:
- At least a dozen cooked Indian dishes (more on those in a later post)
- Waffles, omelets, dosas (see below) and pancakes made to order
- Fresh papaya, pineapple, apples, bananas, dragon fruit, figs, oranges
- Halvah (a sweet dish made from sugar, ghee, and pumpkin, carrot, beets, or other starches)
- Tea, coffee, lattes made to order, “South Indian filter coffee” (see below), masala chai, fresh squeezed orange juice, fruit smoothies, a salted yogurt drink, a sweet yogurt drink that tastes like my mom’s eggnog (way better than the fake store bought stuff you get at Christmas time), watermelon juice, grape juice …
Assorted curries, adai (a sort of spicy pancake), idli (a fluffy white South Indian cake made from rice- and lentil-flour), parathas (fried flat bread), savory porridges, and noodle dishes
Posted in Chennai, ethnic food, South India, Tamil Nadu, Travel
Tagged Chennai, coffee, dosa, food, ice cream, idli, Radisson Blu, restaurants, South India, Tami Nadu, Travel